Call for expressions of interest for IJAD co-editor
Co-editor position for the International Journal for Academic Development
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a co-editor position for the International Journal for Academic Development (IJAD).
We are looking for a co-editor based in Oceania, Africa, the Middle East, or South America to replace the position currently held by Dr Kathryn Sutherland (New Zealand).
IJAD is the premier international journal for academic development (also called educational development and faculty development). Four issues of IJAD are published annually through Routledge/Taylor & Francis (http://www.tandfonline.com/ijad). The manuscript submission and review process is managed through the ScholarOne online system.
The co-editor appointment will be for 4 years (1 January 2020 until 31 December 2024) and the appointee will work collaboratively with the three ongoing co-editors—Dr Klara Bolander Laksov (Sweden), Dr Peter Felten (USA), and Dr Johan Geertsema (Singapore)—and the five associate editors. Normally the editorial team chooses an associate editor from the same region as the new co-editor in consultation with that co-editor.
The role of co-editor provides opportunity to influence the academic development research agenda and to expand linkages between one’s own region and the international academic development community. The position is voluntary, involves working to tight deadlines, and participating in monthly online meetings. Typically, at least one co-editor attends the ICED Council meeting each year.
Applications from individuals who would like to join the team are welcome.
Brief written expressions of interest should be e-mailed to Dr Allan Goody, President of the International Consortium for Educational Development (firstname.lastname@example.org), no later than 25 July 2019 and should
- outline your reasons for wanting to undertake the role,
- address the selection criteria below,
- provide the names of two members of the international academic development community who are willing to be contacted as referees, and
- include your current Curriculum Vitae.
The following criteria are essential:
- Active scholar in academic/educational/faculty development, with a record of publications in this area.
- Passionate about academic development in higher education and committed to encouraging high-quality academic research and publications in the field.
- Professionally active in a continent not otherwise represented by a current co-editor (i.e. NOT Europe, North America, or Asia.
- Experienced in editing and publishing and aware of issues associated with editing an international journal.
- Excellent organisational and communication skills and demonstrable ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others (for example, joint publications, grants, member of a national network, etc.).
- Willing to participate in regular editorial meetings through online video conferencing (often scheduled outside working hours in order to accommodate the schedules of co-editors from four different continents).
- Committed to the goals of the journal’s parent organisation, the International Consortium for Educational Development (ICED): http://icedonline.net/
- Membership in one of the member networks of ICED.
In addition, the following criteria are desirable:
- Familiarity with online manuscript management systems.
- Familiarity with APA referencing, copy-editing, or access to administrative support for copy- editing.
- Ability to start by 1 January 2020.